The Department of Performing and Media Arts is a nexus of rigorous thinking, imagination, artistic craft, and entertainment.
On Giving Day, your gift of any size helps support PMA initiatives such as:
- Bringing in directors, actors, writers, producers, choreographers, and more as guest artists and guest speakers for workshops, master classes, and our popular Professional Directions series;
- Contributing to a soundstage and equipment purchases, which expand the technical and artistic possibilities for our students working in cinema and media production;
- Implementing a new bleacher system to make the use of our Flexible Theatre more varied and effective;
- Adding to the library of historic costume construction books.
Examples of the exciting work that PMA has undertaken or will soon undertake this year include the following:
- The production of The Next Storm, an original play about the urgency of climate change that grew out of a multi-year collaboration between PMA faculty and students and the members of the local theatre company Civic Ensemble.
- The “Arts Unplugged” presentation of new assistant professor Jeffrey Palmer’s beautiful and poignant documentary Words from a Bear, following its screening at the Sundance Film Festival and preceding its airing on PBS.
- Our 7th Centrally Isolated Film Festival, bringing together some of the best student filmmakers in the region.
- Our annual Locally Grown Dance on the Kiplinger stage, with original choreography by our dance faculty and prominent international visitors.
- Conversations with artists in an exciting series, World Theatre Voices, now in its second year, which brings to campus internationally successful playwrights such as Santiago Loza and Jorgelina Cerritos, in conjunction with productions of their works at the Cherry Artspace in Ithaca.
We hope you will choose to support the Department of Performing and Media Arts on Giving Day. Your generosity will enrich and expand the impact of a Cornell arts education: on campus, in the community, and beyond.