You are here
Research and Scholarship Focus
Maayan is interested in the performance of human violence, the theatricality of terrorism and revolutions, the intersection between ritual, religion, and politics in the theater, the Shiite-Iranian performance of Ta'ziyeh, Israeli and Palestinian theater.
Selected Conference Presentations and Publications
- 2012, ""How Green They Are Today, the Prickly Pears. Like Green Peppers" Or: The Independence Night of Mr. Israel Sheffi" by Abraham Raz." In A Re-View: Re-Visiting Classical Israeli Drama (Eds: Prof. Gad Kaynar, Tel-Aviv University and Dr. Zehava Caspi, Ben-Gurion University in the Negev). ″
- May 2011. The Cameri Theater of Tel-Aviv. Guest lecture. Henrik Ibsen and his The Master Builder.
- 2010, "When the Dead Begin to Dance…" or: Theater-within-theater in Rina Yerushalmi's The Dybbuk." In Theater - An Israeli Quarterly for Contemporary Theater, No. 28.
- 2008-2012. Faculty member. Lecturer for: Play Analysis. Department of Theater Arts, Tel-Aviv University.
- 2013. T.A. for Pedagogy of Theater: Fundamentals of Directing II. Department of Performing and Media Arts, Cornell University.
- 2011-2012. T.A. for: Modern Theories of Acting and Directing. Department of Theater Arts, Tel-Aviv University.
- 2008-2009. Faculty member. T.A. for: History of Theatre: Greece and Rome. Department of Theater Arts, Tel-Aviv University.
Selected Artistic Credits
- 2009-2010 Playbill program development and plays translation for the Israeli national "Habima" Theater: ″ International plays: "The Nose"/ Nikolai Gogol; "The Seagull"/ Anton P. Chekhov. ″ Israeli plays: "The Same Sea"/ Amos Oz; "A Night in May"/ A.B. Yehoshua.
- 2008-2011 Dramaturge, researcher and Assistant Director for several productions. The Israeli National Theater "Habima," Tel-Aviv.
- 2007-2009 Groups moderator, playwright, and director for Jewish and Palestinian youth. "Peace Child Israel" organization.
- 2008 Wrote and directed the play "The Canaan Tale," The Arab-Hebrew Theater of Jaffa.
- 2007-2008 Research, writer and assistant director in few productions under Israel Prize winner, Rina Yerushalmi. "Itim Ensemble," of The Cameri Theater of Tel-Aviv.
- 2006-2007 Member of the judging committee. "The Theater Prize in Memory of Meir Margalit."
- 2006 Directed the full-length Shiite play "T'azyieh" in a high profile project. Other participants in the project include the: Director of Theater Studies of The Hebrew University; President of the Hebrew University; Chamber of the President of the State of Israel; Israeli and Iranian media.
- 2005-2006 Drama-therapy leading in a shelter for battered wives, Jerusalem.
- 2004-2005 Treating a mentally disabled child using drama-therapy methods under the auspices of the psychology and theater studies programs, Jerusalem.
- 2003-2005 Producing and acting in original plays at the "Khan Theater of Jerusalem," where both Israeli and Palestinian actors participated. Plays supported by "Billy Crystal's Program for Peace through Performance Arts."
- 2001-2003 Assistant Director, production manager for home and traveling productions. Tzavta theater, Tel-Aviv.
- 1999–2003 Directing the Israeli plays "The Best Friends" by Anat Gov and "The Integral Part" by Gil Kopatch, heading groups of professional and amateur actors, and set and costumes designing.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2012, 2015 Cornell University Graduate School's Sage fellowship.
- 2012-2007 Cornell University full tuition coverage.
- 2007 Dean's Honor list; Magna cum laude scholarship.
- 2004 Social Sciences Deans' Honor lists; Magna cum laude scholarship.
- 2005-2006 Humanities Deans' Honor lists; Magna cum laude scholarship.
- 1999 Bat-Yam's Mayor's Prize for promoting the city dramatic programs and productions.
- July 2008 Psychodrama leading workshop under "Peace Child Israel" organization. (Jerusalem, Israel)
- July 2007 Groups mediation and instruction workshop under "Peace Child Israel" organization. (Kibbutz HaGoshrim, Israel)